Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The History Behind Giving Tuesday

Like most non-profits, Equality holds our Annual Appeal during the November/December holiday season. You will see a lot of non-profits sharing their Giving Tuesday message today, Tuesday, November 29th. As I thought of that, it crossed my mind this morning that I do not even know where the concept of Giving Tuesday came from.

So I leaned on my trusty advisor... Google.

"Giving Tuesday was created when two organizations, the 92nd Street Y and the United Nations Foundation came together in 2012, about a month before that year's Thanksgiving. Their intention was to set aside a day that was all about celebrating the generosity of giving, a great American tradition." (https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/giving-tuesday/). 

Look how this concept has spiraled from two organizations to hundreds of non profits. Most send out their appeals for financial support on this day to their networks. How do they all find success when there is so much "competition" for donors at this time of year? I assume that it is because there are so many big hearts at holiday time there is enough to go around!

I hope if you are giving back, you choose a charity that you are personally invested in. Choose one that speaks to your life and challenges you have overcome. I always find that I feel best when I donate to a cause that speaks to my life and that I may be helping someone through a struggle or issue that I can empathize with.


So, with that said, feel free to check out our school's annual appeal video and our donation page for our Career Center at Equality Charter High School.

Caitlin Franco
Founder & Executive Director
Equality Charter School 

No comments:

Post a Comment